This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Wednesday 8 November 2017

Day 44 - Osaka to Okayama 大阪から岡山へ

Bicycle touring Japan - Day 44

This blog post is about how to get from Osaka to Okayama... as I haven't done much else today in the travel department. 

Bicycle: 5 km
Train: 184 km
Riding time: 30 min 
Total ascent: 86  m
Route: Osaka to Okayama
Weather: Rainy in Osaka, Fog in Okayama, 15 C


After meeting my colleagues yesterday evening,  today it was the turn of my boss and a few other people in the Osaka office. So most of today I spent in the office, which was perfect as outside it was raining... After lunch I came back to my hotel, picked up my T-bag and the bicycle, which was parked very nicely in a covered car parking lot, road the few meters to the station and boarded the next Shinkansen to Okayama. At that point in Osaka it was no longer raining, but looking out the window of the train it seemed that it was raining in Okayama, as it was very gray outside. However looking more closely out of the train, no one was using an umbrella, so instead of taking a taxi to my hotel, which was my first inclination, I road up here. 

When I reserved the hotel, I hadn't noticed... but it is on a rather high and steep hill. And the route I took was specially steep and through a graveyard. Partially the road was so steep that even pushing the bicycle up was hard work. I guess that the name of Okayama 岡山 "hill mountain" should have made me suspicious.


But we made it, and I was rewarded with an enormous hotel room, where I will stay the next 2 nights:






Bicycle touring Japan - Ride maps


For details on the bicycle tour today in Okayama, checkout the below maps:





No comments:

Post a Comment