This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Monday 23 September 2024

SW D10 Tateshina Daira

Route: Suwa - Tateshina Daira - Chino
Bicycle: 41 km 
Train: 180 km
Total ascent: 608 m
Average speed : 14,7 km
Riding time: 2:46 h
Weather: very sunny but no longer hot, 25 C


The trip started 10 days ago in a full Shinkansen where there was only seating space on the ground for a few stations and then only standing. And is finishing in a sold out train back to Shinjuku. Between these two train rides lie 430 km and 5513 elevation meters of cycling, a lot of art, even more landscape and a lot of enjoyment. 

Today weather was very nice. Sunny and no longer hot. Such a change compared to the rain and dark clouds yesterday. I am always surprised how quickly weather can change completely. 

In principle I had planned to ride a part of the famous Venus Line up to Shirakaba lake, but I only made it up to Tateshina Daira. 

Obviously it is tiring to climb, but I think I could have done an other 10 km of climbing. Overall the plan per Komoot was only 1010 m of climbing and per Strava I did climb 608 of them. However it was getting cold. Not as long as I was riding uphill, but when I stopped at Tateshina Daira for lunch and a rest, sitting outside quickly became rather cold, and this was only at 1230 m of elevation. The top of the road was going to be at 1760 m. I only had my rain jacket as potential wind breaker and jacket for a nearly 30 km decent. This somehow seemed unwise. I need to ask some cycling friends what they bring for alpine descents. 

So instead I explored a bit around the lake and found a tiny road down to a very nice waterfall. 

From there further down and to a village onsen. It was a small village onsen, where the locals go and even leave some of their stuff permanently in the changing room. But it had a rotenburo. Once upon a time it had a view of the nearby stream, but now it’s blocked off for potential views. In the same grounds was also the village administration office, the shrine grounds and the cemetery. All you need for a successful village. 

No comments:

Post a Comment