This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Saturday 21 September 2024

SW D8 Nozawa onsen to Ueda

Route:Nozawa onsen - follow the River - Ueda
Bicycle: 101 km
Total ascent: 644 m
Average speed: 19,2 km/h
Riding time: 5:16 h
Weather: cloudy but no rain where I was, 27 C

 

Today was a transition day. Fitting for the day after the queens stage. Downhill from Nozawa onsen to the broad valley around Nagano that is a hot bed for any kind of fruit cultivation. Mainly apples, but also walnuts, pears, kaki, grapes, …


And mountains.

 
The only sightseeing spot I visited today, was this gigantic ginkgo tree. I had seen indications to it in past rides around Nozawa onsen, but never actually went. Should definitely go again when the koyo season is in full swing.

Apart from that, it was a relatively uneventful day, riding for a good pirate along the river on a dedicated bike path.At my second breakfast stop, I checked if there is an onsen close to Ueda and found one not too far and nearly on my way. It was one of the few onsen with a view while sitting in the hot water. A view over the valley and towards the mountains in front. There was even at some point a nice little rainbow, but I got lucky and it never rained in the entire day where I was.


No comments:

Post a Comment