This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Friday 20 September 2024

SW D7 Tokamachi - Akiyama - Nozawa onsen

Route: Tokamachi - Akiyama - Nozawa onsen
Bicycle: 80 km
Total ascent: 1750 m
Average speed: 15,2 km/h
Riding time: 5:15 h
Weather: hot but not that humid, mostly sunny later some clouds, 30 C


After the rest day, today the Queens stage: up to Akiyama and then at the end up to the ski area of Nozawa onsen. 

Akiyama was suggested as one of the interesting spots fit the art exhibition, but I didn’t make it up to the interesting piece. I stopped about 6 km and , more importantly 240 meters of elevation before reaching that part of the exhibition. Maybe in hindsight I should have continued on, but I had the feeling that there was a lot of downhill in the uphill I had done and needed to cycle all this back. But it was misleading. Actually what I saw on Komoot was much closer to reality, ie nearly one long downhill with one kicker, compared to what I had felt coming uphill. Not the first time that some downhill in an uphill on the way back seem petty.

At this abandoned school I turned back after a good rest and an onigiri I had bought at a conbini in the valley. Inside was an art installation that was more for children to play with. 

But the valley itself was gorgeous, with a steep wall on one side and a lovely stream.

On the way down I stopped at a soba restaurant. Apparently Niigata is very famous for its rice, but I have been eating soba twice and even saw some soba fields. 

Back down in the Shinano valley I stopped at Hong Kong house and yet an other abandoned school turned into an art venue for a last look at some art:


But overall the art I like here is the one that stands in the landscape and interacts with it. 


For the night I had reserved a room with half board in the ski area of Nozawa onsen. I had come here last year November. Very friendly owners. And a good cook. 

Tomorrow probably back to Tokyo as weather isn’t promising here. Not yet decided if I’ll ride in the rain to Nagano or get down the mountain by bus and then take a train from Iiyama. 






No comments:

Post a Comment