This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Saturday 5 October 2024

D1 NAAF Matsumoto - Omachi plus art

Route: Matsumoto - Omachi and art installations between 
Bicycle: 65 km
Train: 220 km
Total ascent: 659 m
Average speed: 15,9 km/h
Riding time: 4:04 h
Weather: cloudy, later on light drizzle, 20 C

I read recently in the Japan Times about an “inconvenient“ art festival in the Northern Alps, which picked my interest. 

The Northern Alps Art Festival (NAAF), curiously organized by the same person as the Echigo Tsumari triennial where I was a few weeks ago. Initially I had thought to come here next weekend which will be a long one, but it turned out that 2 weeks before there were no train tickets anymore available, and with me being busy most of the other weekends in October plus reasonable weather I decided to make also this weekend a long one. Although there is no koyo yet and it is not a long weekend, it was difficult (but possible) to buy train tickets. 

From Matsumoto I first needed to get out of the city and then went as a first stop to a point to buy the “passport” for the art festival. Had a quick lunch in a restaurant on the same parking lot and then went to the first art work, which left me a bit underwhelmed.

The second piece was behind a temple in a forest.  This seems to be a theme with this festival. A lot of the places I saw today are somehow within temple or shrine grounds. 

Also this one frankly did not impress me. But it was in a curious location on a kind of golf in the woods ground. 

At the third place were some video installations. One of them being story telling from what seemed to be old , Japanese tales. 

I didn’t stop in Omachi, where there is more art in the town but continued to lake Kizaki, that had also more art.


But the highlight of the day was this spiral of lenses. They were specially magical as by this time it had started to rain  slightly. 

Although this art festival is called “Northern Alps” those guys did hide today behind some big clouds, so instead of Alps, there were only some smaller mountains around. 



No comments:

Post a Comment