This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Monday 2 January 2023

NY2023 D3 Nara Wazuka Kyoto

Route: Nara - Wazuka - Kyoto
Bicycle: 80 km
Train: 40 km
Average Speed: 14.8 km/h
Total Ascent: 486 m
Riding Time: 5:23 h
Weather: Sun & clouds, and some rain, 3 C

I left my bike yesterday at the bike parking at Nara station, so today I could start from Mara and head back to Kyoto. The idea was to explore the tea plantations around Wazuka, from where most of the famous Uji green tea stems and to get over some mountains there and then down to Uji and back through Fushimi Inari jinja to Kyoto. 


Also today didn’t go to that plan, but being flexible is part of enjoying being out and about with the bike. The first part to Wazuka went as planned and I had a wonderful ride through the hills of the tea plantations. 


As the information on the internet already told me, these tea plantations are on surprisingly steep hills. 

I had originally planned to ride over one of these hills (they are steep but quite short, only about 1+ km, so worst case totally walkable), but when I was at the base of the climb it started raining. Luckily I was at the only conbini in the valley, so could hide from the rain, but I thought that it would be wiser not to climb up and ride down (!) a wet, steep hill, far away from civilization and train lines. So instead I decided to return back to the Kiso river in the Nara - Uji - Kyoto valley where there would be multiple train lines to choose from. However the rain wasn’t persistent, so I waited it out at the conbini and then head back down, back over the river ... 

... and along it, and back to the cycling road on Kiso river. From there it was a rather uneventful ride back to Kyoto, until arriving at Fushimi Inari Taisha, a very famous spot for Hatsumode. And thus rather busy... but that is part of it. These shrines and temples are in use, specially the first few days of the year. 


I had come here also in early January 2016, which was my first Hatsumode experience in Japan. I don't remember, but I am not sure if I expected anything special or just wanted to see this shrine again, one of my preferred shrines in Japan. So back then I was very surprised by all the offers standing on display. A lot of alcohol (mainly Sake, but also beer), but also other products. E.g. Kleenex, soy sauce, fresh fruit and vegetable, water, ...). Everything the companies that are coming to pray for an other successful year, are producing. Looking back through my old pictures, I saw that last time I was here on January 4th, so already a working day. Not sure if for that reason, but back then, there were a lot of business men coming to give their offerings. It seemed like the president of the company plus a few senior managers all together visiting the shrine. The produce they offer is only "for display" I think. What they are actually offering is money. Back then, there was also a dance / singing of some shrine girls on a stage. But not so today. Anyway, I have my fond memories of this shrine, even if today wasn't anything too special. 


BTW, last time I visited was also special... and can be found here

The day finished in an onsen / super-sento (Makoto no yu) not too far from my accommodation. Apparently in what was the red light district of Kyoto in the past, but now a very residential area, with this onsen. It had just one rotenburo, but with a nice view into the night sky with a decoratively shining half moon. After getting my well deserved soak, I had a very good dinner there (steak prepared by myself on a small iron plate) and then headed back to my room, where I am now sitting on my futon, completing this blog post. 



No comments:

Post a Comment