This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 8 January 2023

NY2023 D8 Up in to the hills and down to Biwako

Route: Kyoto - Ohara - Takashima - Biwako
Bicycle: 101 km
Train: 25 km
Average Speed: 19.1 km/h
Total Ascent: 752 m
Riding Time: 5:17 h
Weather: Sun & clouds, but no rain today, 4C


On my last day, a bigger ride, up the hill I cycled up a part on Day 6, and then up and up. There is a long, very straight valley parallel to the Biwa Lake, with a good road, not too much traffic and a nice incline, not too steep. So actually quite perfect, both for riding up, as well as rolling down. This is the view from close to the highest point:

Shortly after I entered a tunnel (the first in a row of maybe about 3 tunnels) and when I came out, there was this:


Snow! But the road was very much free of snow, so no problem at all for riding: 


This descent was quite perfect, only the road surface could have been smoother... but I guess one cannot complain for a road with relatively little traffic and harsh winter conditions, it was reasonably well maintained and had a perfect incline. And nice panorama off the road:


On the mountains around and the one here in the distance, there was already snow. Not a lot of snow though... but that is probably going to change over the coming weeks. 


Continuing down and down, I came to Takashima, which was my minimum goal of today, as that is the first place with a train line, but it was still early enough in the day, and I still had energy, so I continued on riding along the famous Biwa-ichi cycling road. This is in some places a real cycling road, in others it is just a blue line on a street. Sometimes there is a fast track (generally on the bigger streets) and a slow course, which is generally more on smaller, neighborhood streets. 

Along the way, in an area with not a lot of space between mountain and lake, so on a rather busy road, there was this torii standing in the Biwa Lake in the late afternoon sun: 


At around 80 km in, I still felt I had enough energy, so I decided to make this my first 2023 100 km ride. Last year, I only managed one 100+ km ride, since moving to Japan. (I don't remember where and when, but probably it was a rather flat ride). So I continued on, always parallel to the train line and for most part on the Biwa cycling course. Although at some point I must have missed a turn... but sometime later I found the course again. And anyway, with the train line to one side and the lake to the other, there isn't any getting lost. I had planned to look for a station once I hit the 100 km, and by pure chance right at that point, a sign appeared showing to the right for Ogoto Onsen station. I had comfortable time to pack up the bicycle, while it got dark outside. Then hopped on a rather empty train directly back to Kyoto station. 

No comments:

Post a Comment