This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Saturday 25 May 2024

Around Hakone

Day 1

Route: Matsuda - Sengokuhara - Owakudani - Hakone
Bicycle: 45 km
Train: 70 km
Total ascent: 1397 m
Average speed: 10,5 km/h
Riding time: 4:22 h
Weather: warm but definitely not too warm , cloudy


A few weeks ago I already cycled here to Hakone but didn’t get down to the Hakone valley, instead went down to Gotemba after a look at Ashinoko from Nagao pass. This time I came over to Hakone and am even staying here. 

From Matsuda I took a different road over to Hakone (with less climbing) but still clocked nearly 1400 m of ascent on a very quiet but very well maintained road. Hakone Kintaro line. 

The downhill wasn’t very long, but surprisingly cold. And I didn’t bring my rain/wind jacket thinking that I wouldn’t need it anymore for the cold and no rain was forecast for today (but it did rain very slightly for a short time just before arriving in Motohakone). So mental note: bring rain jacket always can be useful for a cold downhill as well. 

I am also always surprised how high the area around Mt Fuji already is. Ashinoko is at about 700 m, and it’s noticeably cooler here. 

During lunch I looked up what to do in Hakone (I came quite unprepared) and discovered that there was a temple right behind the restaurant where I was eating and that another sightseeing spot (Sengokuhara grassland) was on my way. 

I first visited the temple. The temple itself want interesting but the hill behind it was covered with status of very funny gods.



The next stop were some grasslands… well… green…


From there surprisingly it was still uphill and then I added even more uphill by going to Owakudani, a place o have fond memories of from 1995, when I arrived there by cable car and then walked on the volcano with boiling mud besides the path. Now all this is off limits and only accessible with a guided tour. It was off limits for a long time due to too much volcanic activities and now seeing the crowds up there it’s probably off limits because of the sheer number of visitors. There aren’t that many places on earth where you can conveniently get to the crater of an active volcano by public transport.

In typical Japanese fashion they are trying to control the volcano by building structures within it. I wonder what the volcano thinks of all this.


From there down to Ashinoko with a shy Fuji hiding behind some clouds, along the lake on a bicycle path…

… and into an onsen with great views right over the lake.

From there it wasn’t far to Motohakone and my hotel, but I did stop briefly at the famous torii in the water, which even at this relatively late hour still had a queue for taking pictures.

Hakone was always a very touristy area but it’s surprising how many foreigners are here. In the capsule style hotel I am there are only foreigners, in the restaurant I had dinner was only one table with Japanese guests and even in the onsen I went there were more foreigners than Japanese. 

So now making a plan for tomorrow… where should I go from here? 



Day 2

Route: Hakone - Nagao pass - Ashigara pass - Kaisei 
Bicycle: 70 km
Train: 75 km
Total ascent: 1365 m
Average speed: 13,8 km/h
Riding time: 5:02 h
Weather: surprisingly cold, cloudy and this no Fuji


For the second day I made it back to Odakyu line but not through the descent from Hakone to Odawara, which frightens me a bit (plus it was way too close to where I started my day), but instead crossing again the entire caldera of Hakone passing over Nagao pass down to Gotemba and then up again to Ashigara Pass before finishing the day in a wonderful onsen.

My hotel was a kind of hip interpretation of a capsule hotel, but actually quite okay and at a bit over 8000 yen a cheap solution in Hakone which is totally overpriced (and overrun). After breakfast I went to the pier to see the pirate ships (but no Fuji) …

… before cycling back along the shore to the opposite end of the lake. There is a cycle / pedestrian path along most of the shore and relatively early in the morning it was still cyclable. I’d imagine later in the day on weekends it is so clogged by pedestrians that it wouldn’t make for a nice experience. 

On Komoot I saw a recommended route from the lake to the start of the climb to Nagao pass and it was a wonderful small road through an enormous golf course. Not really sure if it is one golf course or several ones, but most of that inner area of Hakone is just golf course. Back in the day it must have been a swamp. 

From there to the start of the climb to Nagao pass and then up. I did ride up from the other side to this pass a few weeks ago and it was such a nice climb. Gradually and with a great view. From the Hakone side it is an equally enjoyable climb with great views of the entire caldera (and its golf courses in the valley and smoking volcano) 

As it was cloudy this was the best view of Mt Fuji that I got. 


After a nice downhill of Nagao pass it was up again over Ashigara pass which even from the Gotemba side is hard (but not that long). A rest on the top, again no view and then some curry udon halfway down. After some more downhill it was uphill again to the onsen of the day. Which was a wonderful onsen with two big pools outside in what seemed to be pure nature. I am sure it’s nature that got some help but it was really feeling like sitting in a hot pool in the middle of the forest. There were also relax areas in similar positions. 







No comments:

Post a Comment