This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Thursday 9 May 2024

GW2024 D7 Through onsenlandia

Route: Kurokawa onsen - Sujiyu onsen - Tadewara wetlands - Ukenokuchi onsen - Yufuin
Bicycle: 59 km
Total ascent: 1193 m
Average speed: 11,3 km/h
Riding time: 5:15 h
Weather: blue skies but surprisingly cold, maybe around 12 C


What a view!

Mt. Aso in the background with the smoke coming from the caldera, a few other mountains connected to Mt. Aso, the rolling hills and high plateau in front and the edge of the caldera that surrounds Mt Aso. 

And all this by chance as I took the “wrong” road. I wanted to take Yamanami highway, but the small connection road that Komoot saw didn’t exist in reality, and the next option that wahoo saw didn’t exist in real life either. So I continued on the small road I was on until it joined a bigger road but at that point I was already at least halfway up the mountain and cycling down just to join Yamanami highway didn’t seem a good idea, when this road was going in the same direction and had hardly any traffic.

This ski slopes were the highest point of the ride, I donned my rain jacket to not freeze on the downhill and down I went  … 


… until turning towards the Tadewara wetlands.

Not sure if I was impressed by the wetlands themselves (they were green but no special flowers in bloom) but the backdrop of Mt Kujo, apparently an other active volcano, was majestic. 

From there it wasn’t very far to the next attraction, a swinging bridge over a small and very deep river with its waterfalls. And although this place is quite hard to reach, it seems relatively popular with bus loads of foreign tourists. 

From there on through small streets, one actually a bit too small (and steep) to be enjoyable to ride… but it fooled me as the beginning of that road (only the first 100m or so) were newly build and thus in perfect shape… to my destination: Yufuin.

Once here I went to the local onsen on a hill behind the main city, with a huge rotenburo (but no internal tubs) ..


… and with the boiling hot onsen water coming out if the ground around it.


And then down to my accommodation 




No comments:

Post a Comment