This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 5 March 2023

A day away with plums in full bloom

Route: Mito - Kairakuen - Tsukuba 
Bicycle: 81 km
Train: 200 km
Total Ascent: 793 m
Average speed: 17 km/h
Riding Time: 4:45 h
Weather: Sun and clouds, a bit colder than yesterday, 10 C


This was the second, and this time successful attempt to see plums in bloom at Kairakuen. I came here 2 weeks ago, but back then there were only very few trees already flowering. The rest were still preparing. But 2 weeks later and with warmer weather, today most of the trees were in full bloom and quite spectacular. 


Frankly I would not be able to distinguish a plum flower from a cherry blossom. 

However although today I saw the garden in all its splendor, I am still not seeing why this is one of the 3 best Japanese gardens  it’s essentially a plum orchard. 

It was again an early start to get to Mito station before 9:00 to have enough time after the touristic visit to get some cycling done. The route I selected for today was a bit more hilly and with quite a steep ascent (and descent) at the end over a mountain connected with Tsukuba mountain. Before that it went through the countryside, partially on the “Fruits road” where there were strawberry fields, grape plantations and obviously plums. 

Up that hill motorcycles were prohibited, but not people who think their car is a motorcycle and make a lot of noise in their small - quite common looking - cars getting up the mountain, taking every corner as it were a formula 1 race. Quite noisy. 


Sooner or later I’ll be trying out Tsukuba mountain itself! But that is probably better achieved from Tsukuba. 

Last time I was too tired to go to an onsen at the end of the ride, but today I made it. Kirari onsen, is your typical super sento. Two pools inside, sauna and 2 pools outside, plus some shallow water to lie in. My preferred rotenburo. I think I spent over half an hour in that. Falling asleep at times. Very relaxing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment