This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Wednesday 1 May 2019

GW 2019 - Day 5 - Rain in Asuka 飛鳥で雨

Bicycle: 18 km
Route: Yamatoyagi - Asuka - Yamatoyagi
Total riding time: 1:21 h
Total ascent: 97 
Average speed: 13.1  km/h
Weather: RAINY!!!   16 C


It was rainy all day, except for the first maybe 20 min when I had left the house... However, I was prepared for rain, and after taking this picture at the remains of a Fujiwara castle, ...


I thought refuge in a roofed parking lot and got my rain gear on.


It wasn't a very strong rain, but a persisting one. The rain cape is more or less helping in staying dry, and I wasn't drenched in water... but if riding even just slightly uphill I was feeling that moisture started to accumulate. The other inconvenience is that the Garmin on the handle bar is then BELOW the rain cape, which I am sure it appreciates... but it just makes it impossible to follow it. Luckily however in Nara province there is a network of cycling roads and while I haven't yet been able to find a printed version of the map, I found the digital one and today somewhere along the ride, I found a sign for one route, which was going to Asuka... my destination of the day. So I stopped looking at Garmin and just followed those road signs, which led me through the country side on small ways through the fields.


At one point, I got bored of the rain, and was just passing by a temple, so decided to visit it.


I got some rest at the temple, and then continued on to Ishibutai tomb. A large burial structure, with a burial chamber that one can visit.



After this visit, it was time to get something warm to eat. It wasn't actually cold, just rainy... so some Japanese soul food was needed: カレー

Having warmed up inside and out, I continued to my last sightseeing spot of the day, the Asuka Historical Museum. It is only very partially explained in English, but still, one can see some nice remains of the Asuka period. And well, today was a museum day after all.

So although it is the second time for me here in inner Nara prefecture, I have still found new things to do for 3 days... and my list of sightseeing spots is increasing... rather than decreasing.

Tomorrow on to Wakayama, a long ride... but what a change in weather:
Left 1/May/2019 , Right 2/May/2019


No comments:

Post a Comment