This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Tuesday 7 August 2018

Very short ride to Tokyo station and back by Yamanote line

Today I left work quite early (shortly before 18:00) with the idea to get to my hairdresser in Shimokitazawa... but when confirming their opening hours, I discovered that they are closed on Tuesdays. So plan B, a bit of a cycling ride in the centre of Tokyo. It got surprisingly cold since tonight, so cycling was definitely a good idea... but... also the rain was approaching. But I set off nevertheless.

I reserved a cycle (the only one) at a Docomo cycling station close to Hamamatsucho, and got on it. Well ON is probably not the right directional indication. Actually I more got DOWN to it, so small was it. More like a children bike. 


Right when I started the ride the first drops of water started to fall. But only a few and I decided that I wasn't made of sugar, so did set off, with the general idea to go to Tokyo station and then once around the imperial palace. Well, I got to Ginza...


But right when I was waiting at a traffic light at Tokyo station for it to turn green the rain became more insistent so I initially took shelter under the arcades of a building, checked the appropriate rain app and saw that more rain was coming.

Luckily enough I was right in front of a docomo bike share station (which I even knew from previous experience). So I left the bike there, run over the street to JR station, took a Yamanote line back to Hamamatsucho and went through the underground passage to the closest exit to our temporary home. Here the rain wasn't so bad, so I got home pretty dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment