This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Thursday 26 March 2020

Maps for Tokaido - 旧街道東海道サイクリング

As I am writing this, I am actually on the modern version of the Tokaido... on the Tokaido Shinkansen, somewhere between Nagoya and Kyoto. But this post is about the old Tokaido, the traditional road network for travelling from Kyoto to Edo (Tokyo)

Always on the hunt for new suggestions of nice cycling adventures these days I stumbled over these maps for riding along the old Tokaido from Kyoto to Tokyo. It seems that the cycling is mainly (or at least quite often) on small streets rather than the big ones.

The routes are available here on Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/43713242 from CSC 管理人

On this blog page (in Japanese) there are also some pictures and further descriptions. But it's a bit of a tedious blog page with a lot of clicking: https://www.strada.jp/events/kyukaidou_201908/

If you have Strava Summit you can download the maps directly from Strava. If not, like me... the following short cut seems to work:

  • Open the route
  • Click on the "。。。" symbol 
  • Click on "create route" 
  • This opens the route in the planner
  • Save 
  • And wow... there it is in my planned routes in Strava. And for those I can actually download the GPX file and then import on Garmin (or potentially just open it with the Strava app on the garmin)
Excited of having discovered this feature I went ahead and downloaded me the entire route. 

Seeing how it is numbered, it would seem that the idea is to make it in 3 days! But not for me. I guess a nice week would be perfect. 

Very much looking forward to do this ride once upon a time!


No comments:

Post a Comment