This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 28 April 2024

Up and down and up and down around Oku Tama and Hinohara

Route: Okutama - Kosuge - Hinohara - Kitano
Bicycle: 85 km 
Train: 105 km
Total ascent: 1,216 m
Average Speed: 17.3 km/h
Riding time: 4:55 h
Weather: Very sunny and perfect temperature


This was an extremely nice route and definitely one to repeat. I can't wait! 

This year I am not taking Golden Week as vacation, but the following week, because my colleague wanted to take GW. However that still means I have a long weekend at the beginning of the week as the Monday is a public holiday anyway. Today on the Sunday I went to the Okutama region. 

I had cycled parts of this ride already. Obviously up to Okutama lake and also to Kosuge and over to Uenohara, but this time I connected it over to Hinohara before descending again into the plains and taking the train back home. I nearly like everything about this route:

  • Nice small street from Okutama station up to Okutama lake
  • Road along a big lake
  • A bit more challanges up the hill around Kosuge and then a slightly ondulating descend with not much traffic towards Uenohara, but without making it down to Uenohara which can be clogged with traffic
  • View of Fuji in the distance
  • And then up again through a quiet tunnel but on a well build road 
  • And finally down hill on the bigger of the two Hinohara roads, which has a nice decent

This route really has it all! 

This statue is in front of the visitor center at the dam. 

As it was GW houses and villages were decorated with flying carps for the boys:


It seems however that I didn't take any picture of the views of Mt. Fuji... but hey... another reason to go back again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment