This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 27 August 2017

Yamanote Line Sotomawari with Night Pedal Cruising 山手線外回り

Yesterday night the probably last ride with the friends from Night Pedal Cruising. In August we do a night long ride starting at midnight. Also this time we gathered in front of the NHK building at Yoyogi and then shortly after midnight took off on a ride along Yamanote line.

I had thought that we would go "vaguely" along Yamanote line, but we tried in most places to go really totally along Yamanote line and definitely made a point of taking a photo of each station.

We started at Harajuku (Sotomawari melody starting at 30 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Di43RnR-3U) and then took off for Yoyogi, Shinjuku, Shin-Okubo, Takatanobaba (first rest), Mejiro, Ikebukuro, Otsuka (approximately from that time no trains passed anymore... 終電), Sugamo, Komagome (second rest), Tabata, Nishi Nippori, Nippori, Uguisudani (third very brief rest), Ueno, Okachimachi, Akihabara (forth rest), Kanda, Tokyo, Yurakucho, Shinbashi, Hamamatsucho (then a longer rest at Shiba Koen, at this time it was probably around 4:30 am), Tamachi (approximately here I saw the first train again in circulation), Shinagawa, Osaki, Gotanda,  Meguru, Ebisu... (Sotomawari melody from 10 sec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3rIwihVow)

At this point I was very tired, it had become daylight already and it was shortly before 6 am. So I decided to "call it a night" here and leave the others to complete the ride until Shibuya and Harajuku.

We took a last farewell picture and then I rode down to Meguro river and along it back home, where I arrive probably around 6:30, very tired (and with pains in my butt and hands... forgot my gloves...)


I also took this ride as a test ride for my travel. So i went with my fully packed bag. This makes the bicycle heavy and more tiring to ride than normally... but doable. I also found what looks like a good place for the spare tire. Simply attached below the saddle. Surprisingly it does not interfer with the riding and it even serves as a backwards reflector, as the white stripe on the tire is reflective.

For further reflection I also added some reflection stripes to my helmet.

And here the map of the ride along Yamanote line:





No comments:

Post a Comment