This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 12 February 2023

Miura Peninsula

Route: Yokosuka- Miura peninsula - Enoshima - Koza Shibuya 
Bicycle: 90 km
Train:110 km
Total ascent: 542 m
Average speed: 18,7 km/h
Riding time: 4:47 h
Weather: Sun and clouds and during the day surprisingly warm.  12 C

Today wasn’t my first time on Miura peninsula by bike but the first time I made it in just one day. Did choose though I think a different route. At least it seemed much flatter than I remembered it. 

I had my bike still all packed up from the ride to Odawara with my friends and earlier this week, so had decided to take advantage and start the ride somewhere outside of Tokyo. When looking for ideas, Miura peninsula came along. It’s a rather famous cycling destination from Tokyo, but frankly I am not sure I like it that much. Specially the part from Mizakiguchi to Zushi and further on to Enoshima has heavy traffic. So heavy that the cars hardly advance. For us cyclists it is possible to pass the cats on the left, but it isn’t the same fun as just riding. 

However one has to admit that the views over Tokyo Bay are nice.

Around Mizakiguchi the peninsula is quite rural at least when one manages to escape from the main road, then one is surrounded only by cabbage and daikon. So many of them, that actually the entire region smells cabbage. 

Shortly before Enoshima, Fujisan made its appearance. 

From Enoshima I entered one of the typical Japanese cycle paths along a river. This one after Fujisawa becomes a really nice one. But even better was the end in Koza Shibuya at Ofuro no Oosama, one of my preferred Super sentos in the Kanto area. 


No comments:

Post a Comment