This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 26 February 2023

D4 - A cold and windy day on Lake Biwa

Route: Kyoto - Tokaido - Biwako - Maibara 
Bicycle: 94 km
Train: 420 km
Total Ascent: 518 m
Average Speed: 17,7 km/h
Riding Time: 5:18h
Weather: coooold and veryyy windyyy, cloudy, some snowflakes, 0 C

While I write this I am sitting in what should be a warm Shinkansen train, but I am still kind of cold and not looking forward to get off the train and into the cold again. But this can’t be helped. 

Originally my plan was to cycle along the old Tokaido road, the main route that connected Kyoto and Edo during the shogunate. To start from the right place, I first cycled up to Sanjo Ohashi, took a quick picture before heading out of the city and up to Otsu.

Once over the hills in Otsu I continued to follow the old Tokaido. I had planned the route based on a route I had found a few years ago on Strava and with the help of komoot and google maps. On the ground it wouldn’t be possible to follow it. It is indicated in some parts, but not good enough to be able to follow it through. I wanted to take a picture of such an indication, but always thought “I’ll do it later…” and never did. 

Somehow riding the old Tokaido did not live up to my expectations. Either it was relatively small neighborhood streets with frequent crossings or large streets with a lot of traffic. This combined with the cold and the fact that I would have ventured away from the Shinkansen line, finally turned the tide and made me return to Biwako and the known cycle path along it. 

Today it was very windy and for the most part it was either headwind or side/headwind and this in the cold. Per the thermometer on the wahoo it was about 1 C, but it felt way colder. Cold enough that I was actually kind of cold while riding, and still am. And no onsen awaits me at home tonight, but at least hot bath tub! 

Apparently all the other potential cyclists got the note and stayed home today. I think I saw 1 or 2 cyclists beyond Kyoto. And this in a place like Biwako, where there is normally quite a steady stream of cyclists. 


Even at THE tree there weren’t any people today taking pictures with their car/motorbike/bicycle 




No comments:

Post a Comment