This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 11 February 2024

D2 - Into the rolling hills around Mito

Route: Into the hills between Mito and Motegi
Bicycle: 98 km
Total ascent: 800 m
Average speed: 16,7 km/h
Riding time: 5:51 h
Weather: sunny but cold , 8C


For this second day, I went to explore the rolling Hills between Mito and Motegi. Even more remote than the area between Kasumigaura and Mito that I came through yesterday. Some small villages, some of them still with a lot of traditional houses, rolling hills, Some fields, forests, small, rivers, and surprisingly a few, I think two to be precise, groups of cyclists.When I looked up yesterday, if there any recommended roots here in the area, I couldn’t find anything on the various websites I know that recommend rides around Japan.It isn’t actually that far from Tokyo, but the area is probably not interesting enough for someone to come from Tokyo all the way here. There are better mountains much closer to Tokyo and while the rolling hills are nice, it’s also not spectacular and the area is relatively hard to reach.


While being out there shortly before 12 I got really hungry and realized that I was in the middle of nowhere. Actually close to Village, but there was nothing in that village. Luckily Google maps showed me a soba restaurant a few kilometers further on that was so popular that I even needed to wait. During lunch, I decided to make the right a little bit easier, which was a good decision as it was already 2 o’clock when I restarted the ride and I wanted to get to the onsen prior to it getting dark.


A few of the plum trees already are in full bloom, and some of them have a really strong, sweet scent. 


But mostly it is still too early. It is still winter, spring is still an idea of the future.


When planning this weekend yesterday while coming here by train, I saw a super sento close to Mito which had a very nice picture and it seemed that you can look outside into the countryside while soaking in the hot water. And yes, that is really what is happening. You don’t have an actual view of the landscape, But you can look into some bamboo trees, and some other shrubs, instead of just looking at a wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment