This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 12 November 2023

D2 - Fuji5ko and Shiraito falls

Route: Yamanakako- all 5 Fuji lakes - down to Fuji 
Bicycle: 108 km
Train: 140 km
Total ascent: 599 m
Average speed: 19,5 km/h
Riding time:
Weather: cloudy with a little bit of sun, no rain but quite cold, 7C


Cold autumn at last. After last weekend when it was still pretty warm, this weekend the temperature finally felt like November. In the morning from my hotel rooms there was no Fuji to be seen anywhere…

.. by the time I was ready to start the ride a little bit of Fuji was visible. 

The first lake was Yamanakako, which has a marvelous cycling path along most of its shore.

Lake #2 was Kawaguchiko, the most popular of them all with tourists. Along the shore was also a momiji festival, which essentially is an excuse to have food stalls and tourists in the same place at the same time. And more cars than necessary clogging up the road. But luckily after the festival the traffic also ended. 

Lake#3 is Saiko lake, which just seems to be an extension of Yamanakako.

Lake #4 is the rather small lake shoji, where I had lunch.

And finally lake #5 is lake Motosu a relatively big lake with little traffic.

From there I had 2 options: cycle back along the lakes to Kawaguchiko or cycle all the way down to the Pacfic and Fuji or Shin-Fuji station. And while I was a bit afraid of the long descent down to Fuji, because of the cold air, this was the way I took.  And I was perfectly dressed for the occasion: Undershirt with short sleeves, under shirt with long sleeves, Castelli jacket, wind resistant cap, baklava, cycling shorts, leg warmers, socks, closed shoes and gloves. 

On my way down I had seen that the Shiroito water falls were on my path. I had heard about them but didn’t really know what they are, but it was on the way, so I stopped. It’s apparently a major tourist attraction with a lot of shops  and a unique waterfall.

The tour planned in Komoot was saying that it would take over 900 meter of climbing when reality it were shy about of 600 m. This happens quite often. During the ride sometimes on a perfectly flat road wahoo was “seeing” steep hills, which just didn’t exist. This is not very practical because I might decide against a certain route for too much climbing, but if in reality it’s only about half of the climbing I might have done that ride. 



No comments:

Post a Comment