This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 9 April 2023

Up to Miyagase Dam and down to an onsen

Route: Hashimoto - Miyagase Dam - Atsugi
Bicycle: 42 km
Train: 85 km
Average Speed: 17 km/h
Total Ascent: 496 m
Riding Time: 2:27 h
Weather: Sunny and 15C


Although it was already Sunday I was still kind of hungover from drinking way too much with an ex-colleague and friend on Friday evening. But today was an easy ride... wouldn't it have been for the new cycling bag. In preparation of the ride at end of April in Iwate, the leader of that event had asked me to buy a bicycle bag where both wheels are been taken out, so that the bike is a bit smaller... in light of the big group all being in the same Shinkansen. And well... taking out that extra wheel is a real pain. Not so much the taking out part... as the putting back in part. But well, I did pack up the bicycle at home already a few days ago... and had a try. While my friend instead had a Montbell bag where you only need to take out the front wheel that additionally is wide enough to just drop over and get going. Much easier than the one I had bought a few months ago, where I always struggle to get the zipper to close. Shortly after this ride I bought also the Montbell bag... now having a total of 3 bags for my one bicycle... and the Montbell bag did change my riding experience quite a lot. Taking a train now, is pretty straightforward. Pop out the front wheel, put in the metal spacer, tie the wheel to the frame, pop over the ample bag ... and get going. I timed it on my first attempt and it took 8 min! Without any hurry. 

We cycled up to Miyagase Dam, had lunch there on the shore... 


... enjoyed the scenery still with a lot of hanami, including cherry blossoms in the mountain ... 


... and then rolled down the hill to an onsen in Atsugi. Where we soaked for hours and chatted happily away. 


No comments:

Post a Comment