This blog is about travelling through Japan on a bicycle. Initially on a foldable bicycle (Brompton) and more recently mostly by road bike (Spezialized)... but also by train, ferry, plane, bus or any other transport, if sea, weather, mountains or the like come between me and my desire to ride.
I have tried to summarise information that could be potentially helpful also for other bicycle travellers through Japan, such as list of bicycle roads, helpful web pages etc.

Sunday 2 October 2022

Weekend away in Chichibu 秩父で週末を

Day 1
Route: Temples around Chichibu 
Bicycle:  46 km
Train: 80 km 
Average speed: 14  km/h
Total ascent: 503 m 
Riding time: 3:10 h
Weather: Sunny, blue skies and no longer that hot, 24 C


Finally it has become cool enough to enjoy the outside. Per the weather forecast the entire weekend is supposed to be very sunny but not too hot. So I decided to do a weekend away in Chichibu. Not my first time in Chichibu but first time at some of the temples.

Around Chichibu there is a famous pilgrimage of 34 kannon temples. A whole bunch of them are all packed together in the village before then petering out into the countryside. 

I got up early, cycled to Ikebukuro and took a very flashy train:


In some of my previous visits to Chichibu I had already visited several of the temples, so for this weekend I planned to travel to the ones a bit further afield (but did also repeat a few known temples. 

I stayed in Chichibu itself in a somewhat strange hotel. It must have been the dormitory of a company. The rooms were like 1K (1 room with kitchen) apartments and there was a dinning room. I had taken the room with breakfast, something I don’t do very often as Japanese breakfast is mostly lost on me, so I was very surprised that there was tiramisu at breakfast (among many other things) and it was exceptionally good. But that belongs to Day 2. Day 1 ended in an onsen not too far from the hotel along a river. Nice, somewhat older super sento.




Day2
Route: Temples around Chichibu and back to Tokyo.
Bicycle:  78 km
Train: km 
Average speed: 15.8 km/h
Total ascent: 691 m 
Riding time: 4:09 h 48
Weather: Sunny, blue skies and a bit hotter than necessary, but cyclable, 25C


Blabla 

Vgyftyy









No comments:

Post a Comment